MEC Priority Issues
MEC Priority Issues for 2013
- Mississippi Competitiveness Agenda
- Makes a financial commitment to economic development by funding ongoing MDA programs for attracting new businesses and supporting existing businesses. (Funding requests granted)
- Mississippi Success Jobs Act
- Allows businesses creating jobs to receive existing jobs tax credits or receive funding for training rather than the tax credit.
- Appointed superintendents
- Require all superintendents in Mississippi be appointed by January 2016.
- Charter Schools
- MEC supports Charter Schools and favors the Blueprint Mississippi position for their implementation. (Charter School Bill Passed)
- Mississippi Building Blocks
- Appropriation to begin institutionalizing the Mississippi Building Blocks early childhood education program. (Appropriation of $3 Million Approved)
- Quality Teachers
- Performance Based Compensation for Teachers to provide additional pay over and above current educational and longevity benchmarks. (Pilot Program Approved and Funded)
- Increases standards for entry into college of education, creates scholarships (Scholarships Funded for Students with higher grade point average and ACT Scores)
- Provides funding for Teach for America to increase the number of highly trained teachers. (Level Funding Provided)
- Rural Doctor Recruitment Incentive
- Increases scholarship to $35,000 annually per student and increases number of eligible students recipients to 65.
- Expands areas where rural physicians can practice and be eligible for income tax credit.
- Remove barriers in licensing process.
- Eliminating Prepaid Taxes Burden
- Removes the Delayed Accelerated Tax (where businesses are required to estimate and prepay their July tax in June).